Non-nutritive components of the diet are those components which are only added one. It means those components of diet which do not have any calories.
- These non-nutritive components of diet do not provide energy or calories.
- Some of these examples are roughage or fibres, water, artificial colours, flavours and pesticide residues etc.
- There are a lot of non-nutritive components of diet or food. These elements can be identified easily.
- Also, there are also so many non-nutritive components of diet which are just beginning to be found.
The explanation of non-nutritive components of diet is mentioned below:
- Fibre or roughage. Fibre has no nutrient value. That’s why it is included in non-nutritive components of the diet.
- It is undigested part of the food or it can be said that it cannot be digested by the human intestinal tract.
- But it is very important part of our diet. It consists of water and improves intestinal function by adding bulk to food.
- Benefits of using fibre in diet:
- The fibre in the diet helps a person to satisfy the appetite or hunger and you don’t feel hungry for a long time.
- It helps to correct the disorder of large intestine.
- Use of fibre can prevent constipation.
- Helps your digestion system to works smoothly and helps in digestion of food.
- Fibres are helpful in decreasing the risk of heart disease and preventing certain types of cancer.
Roughage or fibre can be divided into two categories: Soluble fibre and insoluble fibre.
- Soluble fibre can dissolve in water, whereas, insoluble fibre can’t.
- The soluble fibre reduces blood sugar fluctuation and lowers cholesterol.
And where insoluble fibre is a good stool softener.
- Usually, 30 grammes of fibre is recommended for adult per day.
- Both types of roughage or fibre are equally significant for human beings.
Great sources of fibre. Wheat, fresh fruits, roots, vegetables, oats, connective tissues of meat and fish are very good sources of roughage.
Other important non-nutritive components of diet:
2. Water. water is also most essential components of the diet. Even our body‘s blood comprises 90% of water.
Important question.Why water is really important for your body?
- With the help of water through blood, the nutrients are carried to various cells of the body.
- It is also significant in the excretion of waste products. It regulates the body temperature.
- Our body loses approximately 2% of our body weights as water per day.
- We recoup this loss of water by drinking water and by intake of food substances.
- It also functions as a lubricant, keeps the skin moist and protects the body shock.
- Generally, 20% of water intake comes from food and remaining 80% intake comes from the water we drink.
It is excreted from the body in various forms such as urine, sweating and water vapour in the exhaled breath.
3. Artificial colour components of the diet. The components of the diet are prepared more appetising and attractive to see the reflection of colours made possible through pigments.
- Natural pigments are found in fruits and vegetables.
- The colours from animal’s products in components of diet and grains are less bright.
There are various colours of fruits and vegetables such as red, orange, yellow, green, blue and cream.
4. Flavour components of the diet. As we all know that there are many types of flavours used to add in food.
The flavours are derived from both nutritive and non-nutritive components of food. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to know the source of a specific flavour.
An acidic food provides sour taste while alkaline one provides a bitter taste.
5. Plant components of the diet. There are some plants which contain other non-nutritive substances same as the colour compounds and flavour compounds.
But these substances are very harmful to anybody.
Must Read Carefully Artificial sweeteners side effects
When these substances are ingested they may have beneficial or harmful effects.
There are many compounds that inhibit cancer.
There are also a number of harmful substances in plants which have harmful effects if ingested in excess.
Caffeine or high sugared flavoured soft drink is taken in excess quantity it may increase heart rate or your blood pressure.
It can be harmful to your stomach because it creates secretion of stomach acid and urination.
Must watch this to know more.
Conclusion for Non-nutritive components of the diet.
So, this is all the basic things about what are the non-nutritive components of the diet that I wanted to share with you. I hope this helps to improve your knowledge.
If you have any doubt, feel free to ask me in the comments.