Anorexia nervosa eating disorder is one of the biggest problems among many peoples and they even don’t about it.
Are you suffering from anorexia nervosa eating disorder or any of your family members is suffering from any other eating disorders?
Then this article is just for you.
But first, let’s learn about eating disorders.
Detail explanation of What are eating disorders?
When a person starts eating in excessive amounts or starts eating in very small amounts, it is called an eating disorder.
Some important things about eating disorders:
- Eating disorders can also be considered as mental illnesses because it causes disturbances in any person’s regular diet.
- It deeply affects person’s mental health and also physical health.
- Generally eating disorders are not only related to eating too much or too less but they also face other mental disorders.
- They start thinking about their body shape and weight too much.
- Affected people get depressed and usually do not want to take food in presence of other peoples.
- That kind of people may eat very little because they want to reduce their bodyweight, even if they are already underweight.
- Those persons may feel about themselves as very obese or overweight even if they are very skinny.
- Because of these things they usually fall prey to other mental disorders as depression and anxiety.
- These eating disorders can affect men and women but these disorders are more common among women.
- This type of eating disorders usually develops during immatureness but may also develop during childhood or in teenage.
- Many people with eating disorders usually suffer from malnutrition and electrolyte imbalances.
But I want to tell you eating disorders can treat effectively.
Types of eating disorders:
Watch this video, To know that how it can affect you.
There are two major eating disorders which are
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
Details of Anorexia nervosa eating disorder:
well, anorexia nervosa eating disorder is a type of eating disorder that affects women and men of all ages.
Any person, who has anorexia nervosa eating disorder, desires to lose weight because they have an intense fear of gaining weight.
Such peoples limit the amount of food intake and become dangerously skinny.
- In this type of eating disorder, the affected individuals think only about food, dieting, and body weight all the time.
- They have a distorted body image. If any person says them that they look very skinny they do not believe them.
- Anorexia nervosa eating disorder usually begins in the teenage and it is more common in females than males.
- It can become lifelong problem If it is not treated at an early stage if.
Without proper treatment, it can lead to starvation and various health problems such as osteoporosis, heart ailments, and kidney damage etc.
Types of anorexia nervosa eating disorder:
There is two type of anorexia nervosa eating disorder.
- Restricting type of anorexia nervosa eating disorder. In this type of anorexia, the weight is reduced or lost by minimizing calories.
- Purging type of anorexia nervosa eating disorder. In this type of anorexia, the body weight is reduced or lost by vomiting.
Things that Cause anorexia nervosa eating disorder:
It is not easy to say that what causes anorexia or other eating disorders. It happens because of many social, psychological and biological factors.
In addition to these factors, there are many things such as family environment, low self-esteem, and personality traits.
But generally, these are the reason that causes anorexia nervosa eating disorder.
- Biological factors. Biological factors play a vital role in falling prey to anorexia. If any women with anorexia have an offspring, that offspring is ten to twenty times more likely to develop anorexia.
- Social factor. Social or surrounding pressure to be thin can lead to anorexia.
- If any person wants to take part in an activity like ballet, gymnastics or modeling, these professions demand to remain thin.
- Sometimes parents criticize their children’s bodies and appearance.
- This act of parents can lead the children towards anorexia.
- Psychological factors. The affected person with anorexia is usually perfect.
- They do what they are told.
- They excel in everything they do and focus themselves on pleasing others.
- But on the other side, they feel helpless and valueless.
- They never feel good enough.
Symptoms of the anorexia nervosa eating disorder:
Any person who has anorexia usually denies that they have a problem. They try to hide their habits.
But the most seen symptoms of anorexia nervosa are.
- Excessive weight loss. There is a rapid and drastic weight loss of the affected individual without any medical cause.
- The weight loss may be up to 10-20% of the body.
- Feeling of obesity. Such person has a feeling of fat however they are underweight and skinny.
They have a feeling that they have excess fat deposited on their stomach, hips and other body parts.
- Using diet drugs/pills. The affected person with anorexia usually takes diet pills, diuretics. They just want to lose their weight at any cost.
- Overtraining exercise. To burn fat or to lose weight they do too many exercises. Even they are injured or ill, they definitely continue their exercise programmed.
- Strange eating behavior. A person who is suffering from anorexia usually refuses to eat in public places or party or other function.
- Usually, they chew food then spit it out in public place.
- Pretend to eat. Such persons just pretend to eat. They hide or refuse to eat food.
- They make excuses to get out of meals.
- They can be heard saying that they had a huge lunch or dinner or they are having some digestive problems.
- Dieting despite being thin. They follow dieting strictly despite being thin or skinny. They eat only low-calorie foods. They avoid taking and carbohydrates in their diet.
- Afraid of becoming overweight. These persons with anorexia are usually afraid of gaining weight.
- Counting every single calorie. The affected persons remain more cautious about calories.
- They usually read food labels, measure body weight and read diet books.
- Worry about physical appearance. Such individuals remain more conscious about their appearance or body image.
Other possible symptoms of anorexia nervosa eating disorder:
Above the mentioned symptoms, there may be some other symptoms are for example.
Mood swings, poor memory, slowness in thinking, yellow or dry skin, weakness and lack of energy, constipation, fainting, headache, dizziness and gum damage.
- Individual’s muscles and joints may be weak.
- Kidney stones or kidney failure may occur.
Prevention of anorexia nervosa:
Prevention means a healthy development before the occurrence of anorexia. It is helpful in early identification of anorexia before it is too late to treat it.
The following topics may be discussed with children for prevention point of view.
- The teenagers should have a concept that it is wrong to say hurtful things about another children’s body sizes.
- Fitness comes in all sizes. Provides your kid’s knowledge about their genetics and body size.
- Stay away from the persons. Places and activities which are related to anorexia.
Management and treatment of anorexia nervosa eating disorder
All the persons with anorexia need management and treatment. Early management helps to overcome anorexia.
- For proper management, a dietician, a counselor, and a doctor are required.
- But you should also follow the following points to manage anorexia nervosa.
- Face the reality. First of all, it is essential to face the reality. Realize or admit it that you have a problem of anorexia. That is the most important thing.
- Achieve healthy normal weight. An affected person cannot recover from anorexia without restoring appropriate body weight.
- In this situation, you need a psychologist who can really help you to come out of mental illness of anorexia.
- Affected person’s Psychotherapy. Individual psychotherapy can provide help to the affected person in dealing with the behavior and thoughts that lead to anorexia.
- He can gain a healthier self-esteem and learn positive ways to cope up with distress.
- Medication. Generally, there are no medicines to treat anorexia effectively.
- However, antidepressants can help in treating other mental disorder such as depression or anxiety which is related to anorexia nervosa.
Conclusion. So this was all I wanted to share with you. See anorexia nervosa eating disorder or any eating disorder will harm you if you aware of it well.
Do you any questions or queries about anorexia nervosa eating disorder, ask me in the comments.